Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Imitation of Life

Here's two great dreamers. . . one of my high school theatre buddies, Ken Fallin uses his unique drawing style to render sketches of notable folks for the Wall Street Journal and other clients. Today's drawing of the legendary gospel singer Mahalia Jackson caught my attention.

My first memory of hearing Mahalia Jackson is sitting in the darkened 5-Points movie theatre with my parents and watching the Lana Turner remake "Imitation of Life." It's also my first recall of watching black & white racial discrimination on film. I was 8 or 9, so it had to be about 1959. I remember sitting with a huge lump in my throat trying not to cry as the maid’s daughter, very light skinned and ashamed of being black, had decided she wanted to be accepted into society as white, the lump was due to her treating her Mother so badly—when her sweet Mother died, Mahalia Jackson sang at the funeral. By this time, the lump in my throat was enormous, I could barely breathe. I always remember Mahalia Jackson in this way, singing up in the choir loft. Another amazing person who showed up for civil rights, Mahalia Jackson lived her life with amazing grace.

No comments: