Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Four Tops' Songs Make A Girl Feel Good

"Well, I'm rather loud and raw," Levi Stubbs told the Los Angeles Times in 1994. "I don't really even have a style; I just come by the way I sing naturally. When I learn a song, I try to live it as best I can."

Chart toppers throughout the mid-60's,The Four Tops lost a third founding member on Friday with the death of Levi Stubbs. Stubbs experienced a long series of debilitating illnesses for more than 10 years and had not performed with the group since at least 2000.

Levi Stubbs' sang lead on a string of Top 10 Motown hits from 1965 - 1967, "Baby I Need Your Loving," "Reach Out I'll Be There," "Bernadette," and probably the most widely used hit on film soundtracks, "Can't Help Myself." It's the latter song's hook line "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" that has stayed with us forever--at this point in time, just two years shy of five decades. Best of all, with Levi Stubbs and The Four Tops singing any one of these tunes, a girl couldn't help but feel good!

Four Tops on Ed Sullivan (1967)


No comments: