Monday, July 02, 2007

Beverly Sills America's First Lady of Opera

Beverly Sills lost her battle with lung cancer today, she died at home in New York City. If Ms. Sills had been eligible, HRH Elizabeth R would have no doubt invested her as another Dame Commander of the British Empire.

Instead of Dame, we know Beverly Sills as Bubbles, one of the most beloved opera singers of all time who reigned as America's first lady of opera.

I first heard Sills sing during a free Opera In The Park performance at Golden Gate Park in 1976-- a glorious way to spend Sunday afternoon in San Francisco. I was lucky enough to be in town on business and went with a friend who was living here. After the performance, my friend and I made our way over to Club Fugazi on Green Street. We stood in line for the local original hit musical phenomenon, Beach Blanket Babylon.

We were seated upfront near center stage. To our great delight, Beverly Sills and a small entourage came in and sat several tables behind us. The show was fabulous, creative, and just bowled us over in hysterics---an amazing ensemble cast which to this day has a few original members. The performance included a wonderful parody of an opera singer in honor of Beverly Sills. I remember turning around to see her loving it as much as we all were--a perfect day ended with a perfect night.

I will never forget this early trip to San Francisco before I moved here--it was my first introduction to Beverly Sills singing, listening to opera, and Beach Blanket Babylon.

In January 1977, I was visiting my parents at home in Florida. Beverly Sills served as National Mothers March Chairwoman for the March of Dimes and was in town with The Northeast Florida Chapter. I enjoyed the good fortune of attending a coffee in her honor at the Epping Forest estate. Ms. Sills had recently published her memoir, "Bubbles, A Self Portrait" and was signing advance copies of her book with sales proceeds going to the March of Dimes. Of course, I still have the first edition autographed copy of her self portrait. And it was the last time I saw Beverly Sills in person.

Final Performance, New York City 1980:

Color Photo Credit: Justin Lane, New York Times

No comments: