Monday, January 01, 2007

On Dreams


The morning sun makes its way through the fog and spotlights my potted plants. I stand above them while looking out over Huntingdon Park. My gaze falls to the homeless man walking in the middle of Sacramento Street. A familiar face, he travels up and down Nob Hill between the Embarcadero Hyatt and at least as far as Polk Street in the opposite direction. Muni bus drivers and local merchants know him, if the #1 California isn't crowded, the bus driver may let him on. He appears harmless and returns a hello when greeted. The next time that I see him, I will say hello, too---he's one of my neighbors.

The man makes PigPen look clean. Once in a while, he must be picked up because he's had a bath and his hair and beard have been cut. Even so, his soiled and greasy trench coat remains securely wrapped around him and the soles of his shoes still flap as he shuffles along his walk.

Whenever I see him, I wonder when he lost his dreams and commit to hold my own close by, no matter what.

1 comment:

clare's bag said...

Beautiful picture !