Saturday, July 22, 2006

On Critics & Love, Janis

SF Chronicle Theatre Critic Rob Hurwitt's Love, Janis review appeared in Tuesday morning's DATEBOOK Section. Of course I was looking for this review on DATEBOOK's front page but it ended up inside---for some reason, I figure Joplin deserved the front page in lieu of space given to Pearl Jam's first concert in 8 years or maybe scale back the art review of Quilts by Gees Bend to at least start Hurwitt's Love, Janis review on the front page. Anyhoo, Hurwitt gave a nice critical review overall though was disappointed in the second act. He did not mention the guitar player's bobbing head distraction--but then again, Hurwitt is a working critic with a critic's approach and perspective.

I sent Hurwitt a note with my 2 cents from seeing two preview shows (see 7/15 blog below) and a link to my blog. Here's our email correspondence:

Nancy to Rob Hurwitt:

Don't think it's a matter of topping the first act with the second act, I think overall the second act reveals an at-a-glimpse steady decline of what was happening in Joplin's life just as the play does all around. Theatrically, the format is no more unpredictable than most musical productions, that it's told entirely through her own words placing signature songs in just the right spot to illustrate her emotions in that moment proves perfect. We see her child-like exuberance in the beginning wane as she discovers the reality rock stardom life brings. She is bone tired, strung-out, and lonely. That Myler and company help us leave the theatre embracing her memory and message to "Get It While You Can" is nothing less than brilliant.

Rob Hurwitt to Nancy:

Thanks. Good to hear from someone who enjoyed the show more than I did. I've already heard from a few on the other side of the aisle: Waste of time, boring, nothing like the REAL Janis etc. Fortunately, my own memories of Janis in concert -- at the Avalon, in the parks, in Monterey etc -- remain vivid enough for me to stand by my evaluation of the singing (though the band was tighter than I ever remember Big Brother being, except at Monterey). On the other hand, I was disappointed in the second act. Dramatically, I didn't think it did much in terms of portraying the post-Big Brother period and the conflict between what she was achieving musically and how her life was falling apart. The format became pretty tiresome (why not mix it up a bit? Maybe two songs in a row, or a change in the spoken material presentation?). And I didn't feel I was getting more inside the character but rather that, as in life, Janis was becoming more guarded and we were getting more shut out.

Enjoyed your review, though. And, as I said in my review, when the show is hot I think it's really hot.


P.S. You can read Robert Hurwitt's Review by clicking on the blog title.

No comments: